Welcome
Welcome to nwn2db

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

3-man Party

SoZ specific discussion

3-man Party

Postby Riverside01 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:59 pm

To start, this isn't for SoZ, but for the module "Legacy of White Plume Mountain". However, it's very similar mechanically, with an overland map, encounters etc.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=nwn2modulesenglish.Detail&id=454

- SoZ death/bleeding system is used
- Skill checks have use in dialogues but also to add flavour when exploring. Spot, Survival, Lore, Listen in approximate order of use. Other skills are used but for less common scenarios, particularly when a skill already has a developed use in other situations e.g. crafting, tumble etc. Race and class may effect the skill check result. An XP award is given to the specific character who passes the check, not to the whole party - 'scouts' may benefit more from this.
- Searching will reveal hidden doors and items. Search checks are automatic (no need for search mode to be on), but if Search Mode is turned on, there is a bonus to the check. An XP award is given to the character who passes the search check.
- XP is awarded for disarming traps and unlocking objects.
- Tracking will provide clues to the monsters that inhabit the terrain. XP is awarded to the character uncovering this information.
- You can create your own party (at inn, or via player menu), use pregenerated companions (guest stars form the Dark Avenger series, with some but little dialogue). Some henchmen are available, but only for specific sidequests.
- Rangers should find most favoured enemies accounted for. Undead, humans, yuan-ti and gnomes are probably slightly over-represented.
- Most enemies you combat are neutral/evil, and only very few are good. Blackguards/smiters of good take note.
- Tithe boxes are provided at the start to allow the PC to convert gold into useful items whilst dungeoneering, and also as a mechanism to handle any alignment shifts that may be desired/required.

I've busted my head a long time over an "ideal" 3-man party. 4 people would be easy, but too crowded IMO. Starts at level 7, ends around level 21, probably higher with 3 ppl. This is what I have so far:

Overland Spellblade. In SoZ I remember giving my wizard points in Hide, and I didn't have too much trouble. This build also has MS. The modifications I'd do is Sun Elf, starting INT of 19/20, Prodigy i/o Luck of Heroes, max spellcraft. There seem to be some spare feats; I guess no Extend b/c Overland encounters killed off your buffs in SoZ?

Motivational Locksmith. Other feat order. Bards have Amplify, so I think it's a candidate for the Listen skill in my party.

Spirit Shaman with Options. High CHA, so maybe conversation d00d.

This isn't a set frame, feel free to suggest other builds. No Kaedrin's.
Last edited by Riverside01 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riverside01

Highscores: 11

Re: 3-man Party

Postby Arkalezth » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:26 pm

Those look ok in general. I don't remember much about the skills, I don't think I've ever used Amplify in a module.

Wizard: Extend may be more useful than in SoZ because many of the areas/dungeons are larger. Maybe you can go wLithout it, but I see it as more useful than Quicken. If you want the absolute best items, go with crafting, but there are also some powerful items (called "artifacts") to be found. I don't remember if there's any 0% ASF armor available.

SS: I'm not sure about the throwing weapons. If you can do well with mundane ones I guess it can work, but note that shops are few and far in between. I'd personally prefer a more "permanent" weapon.

For the record, I played a 4-member party: ranger/rogue archer, warlock... and bard and cleric, probably. I love to have a warlock in this type of modules, but limiting yourself to 3 members makes things more complicated.

Good, Bad and Ugly Builds
Arkalezth

Postby Thorsson » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:45 am

I did a couple of 3-man parties; they can be found here: http://www.thieves-guild.net/index.php?pid=529
Thorsson

Postby Riverside01 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:11 pm

Arkalezth wrote:Wizard: Extend may be more useful than in SoZ because many of the areas/dungeons are larger. Maybe you can go wLithout it, but I see it as more useful than Quicken. If you want the absolute best items, go with crafting, but there are also some powerful items (called "artifacts") to be found. I don't remember if there's any 0% ASF armor available.

Extend it is then. I'll take Crafting just to be sure.

Arkalezth wrote:SS: I'm not sure about the throwing weapons. If you can do well with mundane ones I guess it can work, but note that shops are few and far in between. I'd personally prefer a more "permanent" weapon.

Well yeah there's the issue stacks of 50... I'll give this returning axe a go. Otherwise, mundane axes should do (SL bonuses), and I can always pull out a spear ... but it won't impress anyone without divine power or intuitive attack.

Thorsson wrote:I did a couple of 3-man parties; they can be found here: http://www.thieves-guild.net/index.php?pid=529

Oh, you made those. Now I know why you sometimes use the pics as your portrait :P Well, I know of them, I've used them as an inspiration for my 4-man SoZ party; I'll take another look.

Thanks both for the info.
Riverside01

Postby Thorsson » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:05 pm

Oops I see they were 4 man parties. LOL I forgot. I think the Tank can be sacrificed in both cases, as the SL will cover those duties.
Thorsson

Postby Riverside01 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:24 am

Okay, a few radical changes: no bard... and yet a cleric... *sigh* there goes my promise. (linked builds are the templates)

Human Ranger 17/Rogue 1/Fighter 2/Shadowdancer 1 (Archery Style)
Scout, Ranged -> Elf vs Wild

Human Cleric 10/Stormlord 10/Something 1 (Time, Earth - STR based)
Tank, Dialogue -> Prayer of Fire and Thunder

Sun Elf Wizard 10/Palemaster 1/Fighter 1/Asoc 9 (Generalist probably)
Overlord, Crafting -> Drow Warmage

Asoc 9 looks real ugly though. Dump Fighter? Asoc 3 and more wiz levels? Or hopefully reach 22+

Thoughts?
Last edited by Riverside01 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Riverside01

Postby Arkalezth » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:03 am

When I played, I did every quest/area (a couple of bugged areas apart) and reached level 21 in the very last fight, so I couldn't really put the epic stuff in practice. So, plan more for middle levels rather than for 21 or 22.

About that new party, I don't know, I think an EK is better than an overlord type wizard in this case (and in most modules in my experience). The ranger is kinda weird, if you're taking SD, why so much ranger? You could just go Ranger13/SD1/RogueX (or Rogue3/AssassinX).

Why the party change anyway? You could go with the first one and have the shaman use bows (you can get some with infinite ammo IIRC) if you don't feel like depending on throwing axes.

In any case, my suggestion is to start playing it already, I'm sure some people have completed it with worse parties than those.

Good, Bad and Ugly Builds
Arkalezth

Postby Riverside01 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:48 pm

In any case, my suggestion is to start playing it already, I'm sure some people have completed it with worse parties than those.

QFT.. too many doubts.
Riverside01

Return to SoZ Discussion